by James Thornton Harris
Alert Tom Cotton: Plymouth Rock, the Mayflower Compact, and the origins of Thanksgiving are just a few of the things Professor Carla Pestana finds in need of historical revision.
by Tony Fels
Beginning in 2021, New Jersey county officials will no longer be known as "freeholders." Although the author concedes the term is archaic, and "county commissioner" is a more informative descriptor, the term "freeholder" is not a relic of past racism.
SOURCE: Native America: A History
by Michael Leroy Oberg
Speculative energy focused on the fate of the "Lost Colonists" of Roanoke Island might be better spent investigating how Native people responded to their arrival.
SOURCE: New York Times
Historians Malinda Maynor Lowery and Lauren McMillan discuss the evidence behind a new book's claim that the "lost" inhabitants of the Roanoke colony were absorbed by the Croatoan indigenous people of the area.
SOURCE: Norfolk Virginian-Pilot
“You’re robbing an entire nation of people of their history by pretending Croatoan is a mystery on a tree,” said Scott Dawson.
SOURCE: Washington Examiner
'Not the Way to do History': Princeton University Historian Blasts 1619 Project as 'Historical Sloppiness' Unworthy of Pulitzer
Allen Guelzo has been a major critic of the New York Times's "1619 Project" and objects to the projects central essay winning the Pulitzer Prize for commentary.
SOURCE: Wall Street Journal
Before the statue and long before the brand-new museum, there were pirates, real-estate ventures and public executions
SOURCE: NY Times
Remains buried in the First Baptist cemetery were believed to have been moved in 1860. But many coffins and bones were still there.
- Why Michigan’s Top Legislators Should Cancel that Meeting with Trump
- Tom Cotton Attacks "Revisionist History" of Thanksgiving on Senate Floor
- Whose History? AI Uncovers Who Gets Attention in High School Textbooks
- Native History Is Washington History, And Tribes Are Helping Schools Teach It
- When Schools Closed, Americans Turned to Their Usual Backup Plan: Mothers
- Female Pirate Lovers Whose Story was Ignored by Male Historians Immortalized with Statue
- The Devil Had Nothing to Do With It
- Hong Kong's New Rules have Created Confusion in the Classroom. Some Parents are Pulling their Children Out
- Whitewashing the Great Depression (Review)
- What Did Europe Smell Like Centuries Ago? Historians Set Out to Recreate Lost Scents