SOURCE: Made by History at The Washington Post
by Tizoc Chavez
Americans deserve better from the Presidential debates; if the Commission on Presidential Debates can't find a way to elevate substance over style, it should step aside for another organization to meet this civic function.
by Richard Moe
A founding member of the Commission on Presidential Debates argues that the body must take stock of its rules and procedures after Tuesday's debacle or risk irrelevance.
by Georgiann Baldino
The Lincoln-Douglas debates became pivotal moments in national politics, and their lessons are vital today.
Dear Moderators of the Presidential Debates: How About Raising the Issue of How to Avert Nuclear War?
by Lawrence Wittner
That question might seem overwrought but, in fact, the U.S. government and others are increasing the role that nuclear weapons play in their “national security” policies.
With the debates getting underway on Wednesday, take a look back at some of the biggest gaffes in debate history.
The President Who Deserves the Credit for Reviving Presidential Debates May Have Lost Because of Them
by Yanek Mieczkowski
This is the explanation for his gaffe.
by David B. McLennan
We can start by having two-person debates.
by Christopher McKnight Nichols
Yes, image was crucial, but it also seems that what Kennedy had to say and how he approached the issues that was also significant.
by James L. Baughman
Probably not, but they have been election rituals ever since.
- Why Michigan’s Top Legislators Should Cancel that Meeting with Trump
- Tom Cotton Attacks "Revisionist History" of Thanksgiving on Senate Floor
- Whose History? AI Uncovers Who Gets Attention in High School Textbooks
- Native History Is Washington History, And Tribes Are Helping Schools Teach It
- When Schools Closed, Americans Turned to Their Usual Backup Plan: Mothers
- Female Pirate Lovers Whose Story was Ignored by Male Historians Immortalized with Statue
- The Devil Had Nothing to Do With It
- Hong Kong's New Rules have Created Confusion in the Classroom. Some Parents are Pulling their Children Out
- Whitewashing the Great Depression (Review)
- What Did Europe Smell Like Centuries Ago? Historians Set Out to Recreate Lost Scents